Notification of death
Information about the death of a student/employee can come from verious quarters. In case of notification by phone, ask and note:
- Name of caller, as well as contact information and relationship with deceased
- Time of death
- Cause of death, if the caller wishes to share this
- What information the relatives wish to disclose to colleagues / fellow students
- Time and place of funeral
- Contact information of immediate relatives
- If the caller is a relative – tell him/her that we will be in touch shortly
The obtained information imust be passed on to the faculty director / department director, with a copy to
- the immediate manager /Head of Studies
- the local HR manager
- the student priest; studentprest@OsloMet.no
Information relative to a death may be sent by email, but sensitive information – such as the cause of death - should be provided otherwise.
The university must always ensure that the information recieved is confirmed.
It is the faculty director / department director's responsibility to ensure that this is done. If in doubt - contact the student priest for assistance.
After the death has been confirmed
The principal must always be informed.
It is the responsibility of the faculty director / department director to ensure that this is done.
Media inquiries must be communicated to, and managed by, the director of communications.
- The identity of the deceased must never be provided to external inquirers.
- Relatives and affected must be shielded for unwanted attention.
Follow-up of the death
The local HR unit, in cooperation with the immediate manager and / or the study administration, is responsible for the follow-up of deaths.