The policy applies together with OsloMet’s privacy procedures and guidelines for protection of privacy /data plans / data management.
It is Uninett that has an agreement with Zoom (through NORDUnet, a collaboration body for the national data networks for research and higher education in the Nordic countries), and that delivers Zoom to OsloMet and the rest of the sector. OsloMet has a general data processing agreement with Uninett which also includes research interviews.
Requirements and recommendation
Planning and preparations
- When planning your interview, make a careful assessment of what kind of data is to be handled. Use OsloMets rutine for klassifisering av data. (In Norwegian only.)
- Always evaluate group interview against individual interview. Group interviewing is not advised when processing red data, as this gives a higher risk of personal data being made public.
- Note: If you are planning a Zoom meeting as a substitute for a physical meeting in research projects, a change notification to NSD may be necessary.
- It is recommended to use an OsloMet operated PC when you are hosting a Zoom meeting. If you are recording a meeting, you are required to use an OsloMet operated PC (see special requirements regarding recording further down).
- Always use the OsloMets Zoom license with Feide login. The free version of Zoom is not allowed. See Install the Zoom-client.
- If you already have Zoom and are unsure if you are using the OsloMet license, check this in advance. See Control that you’re logged in with OsloMet license.
- Make sure you have downloaded the latest version of Zoom well before the meeting starts. In case of problems contact the IT service desk. See Download new version of Zoom.
- Familiarize yourself with Zoom as a tool and test that everything works without sensitive content. See Zoom Guidelines.
- Obtain consent and send good information to participants in advance. See Zoom i forskningsintervjuer – Informasjonsskriv. (In Norwegian only)
Schedule a Zoom meeting
- When setting up the meeting, use the following settings, See Schedule a meeting in Zoom.
- Use “Generate Automatically” and not “Personal Meeting ID”.
- Do not reuse passwords for meetings.
- For group interviews, consider turning off participants' video.
- Activate “Enable waiting room” under “Advanced Options”.
- Uncheck “Join before host” under “Advanced Options”.
- Do not leave the link to the Zoom Meeting with Meeting ID open, but communicate it through email, SMS or similar. If you send the link in Outlook, you must set the notice as private.
Holding a Zoom meeting
- Make sure no unauthorized person has access to the screen during the call or can hear audio from the call. Use headphones where practicable.
- Lock the meeting when all participants have entered. See Hold a meeting in Zoom.
- Repeat information sent in advance of the meeting. See Zoom i forskningsintervjuer – Informasjonsskriv. (In Norwegian only)
- If there is an unauthorized person inside the meeting, immediately close the meeting and notify email@example.com.
Recording a Zoom meeting (additional requirements)
- Use only an OsloMet operated PC if you are going to record the meeting. Note: If you are a student without OsloMet PC, you can do the following instead of recording in Zoom:
- Make your own notes and save on OsloMet One Drive or in Sharepoint as Confidential (yellow data only).
- Plan in advance where downloaded data will be temporarily stored. See Storage Guide.
- Yellow data can be stored on:
- OsloMet-operated mobile and tablet
- OsloMet-operated laptop
- OsloMet-operated desktop PC and Mac, if encrypted (check with IT service desk)
- OsloMet One Drive and Sharepoint
- Encrypted memory stick / external hard drive
- Red data can be stored on:
- OsloMet-operated notebook PC - on the folder C:\Users\(your user) \temp_persondata_utenbackup
- OsloMet-operated desktop PC, if encrypted (check with IT service desk)
- Encrypted memory stick / external hard drive
- Make necessary recording settings before recording starts, see Plan recording of a meeting in Zoom and Record a meeting in Zoom.
- Change storage location according to data classification (see above).
- Check “Record a separate audio file for each participant who speaks if necessary”.
- Check “Add a timestamp to the recording if you need to edit the recording later on”.
- Make sure the temporary recording file is not saved (“Keep temporary recording files should not be checked”).
- If something happens or is said during the meeting that needs to be removed afterwards, note the time so you can cut or edit more easily.
- After the meeting ends, the recording will be downloaded to the selected location. This may take some time. Let the machine finish before closing the lid or turning off the computer. Check that the recording ended up in the right place. Delete any unnecessary information. For example, audio files can be deleted if you only need to use video or or video files can be deleted if you only need to use audio.
- Transfer the recording to the final storage location as soon as possible. Red data shall be transferred to the TSD. Delete the intermediate copy.