Procedure for public defence at SAM
The day before
It is advised that the the committee meet for dinner the night before the public defence and trial lecture for a working dinner in preparations for the public defence. It is the coordinator of the committee who initiates the dinner. The department pays for the dinner.
The day of the public defence
9.15- 10.00: The committee meets in a back stage room, and are joined with chair of the defence, candidate and head of the PhD programme. Coffee and tea is served.
- 10.00: The person presiding opens with information about the trial lecture in the auditorium where the trial lecture and public defence will take place.
- 10.00 -10.45: Trial lecture (45 minutes including questions, if any)
- 10.45- : The committee is given the opportunity to discuss the trial lecture either in the backstage room or other suitable room.
- 11.00-11.45: A light lunch is served in the back stage room. Invited are, in addition to the committee, the person presiding, the candidate, supervisor/s, head of department, head of the PhD programme, administration coordinator, etc.
- 12.00-12.10: The procession enters the auditorium in the following order: the person presiding, the candidate, the first opponent, second opponent and third opponent. The person presiding opens with information about the public defence.
- 12.10-12.30: The first opponent presents the thesis.
- 12.30-13.30 (approx.): Discussion between the first opponent and the candidate
(The first opponent initiates the discussion by asking the candidate whether his/her presentation was adequate)
- 13.30-13.45: Break. Questions ex auditorio have to be notified to the person presiding during this break.
- 13.45 -14.30 (approx.): Discussion between second opponent and the candidate
- Questions ex auditorio, if any.
- PhD candidate gives the opportunity to say some words, to thank the committee; the PhD programme, the Department, the supervisors, colleagues, other PhD candidates etc.
- The person presiding formally completes the public defence, with these words:
Fabula acta est ["Forestillingen er over/slutt"]
- The person presiding informs of gathering with refreshments outside the premises where the public defence was held. The committee signs the protocols for the approval of the trial lecture and public defence, in addition to the recommendations, before leaving the premises. NB – it is the head of the committee who is responsible for ensuring that the protocols are signed.
Due to great variations depending on the public defence, the times indicated for the discussions between the candidate and the opponents are intended for guidance only.