1. About the service
The Section for Admission and Counselling (OV) assists all faculties with the assessment of foreign education documentation in respect to academic assessments and admissions.
The assessment offered is (1) a comparison of the foreign education with Norwegian higher education and (2) a credibility assessment of the documents. This assessment is then used as a basis for the academic assessment carried out by the faculties.
The assessment is just a service in the evaluation of the foreign education is just and does not replace the administrative procedures of the faculties. The decision-making authority for relevant case types lies with the faculties.
1.1 In what cases does OV make assessments?
OV assesses administrative matters relating to:
- Specific recognition (exemption / recognition)
Applies to matters concerning students who apply for recognition of a previous education in the programme of study they currently are carrying out at HiOA.
- Local admission
Applies to all local admissions within the faculties.
- Academic recognition of equivalency
Concerns applications for the recognition of other higher education as academically equivalent to the education provided by HiOA.
- Consultation about authorization
Concerns matters for which external agencies have agreements with HiOA about consultation/ advice giving in single cases; or instance the agreement between the Faculty of Health Sciences and the Registration Authority for Health Personnel (SAK)
2. Book an assessment
Assessments can be booked by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To make it easier for us to sort different matters, we ask you to write "UTL assessment" in the subject line, and then the case and the country.
Send one email per case.
The email must include the case number in Public360 and the student number / case number in FS, depending on which tool the faculty will use for the administrative procedures. OV must have access to the case or the documents that are to be evaluated.
The applications for academic recognition go directly to OV who then assesses the foreign education and communicates with the applicant if additional documentation is necessary. Relevant matters are sent to the faculty for academic assessments. The academic assessment must contain a justification, the decisions made, recommendations (if necessary) and be signed. It is then sent to OV who dispatches the case.
3. Requirements for assessment
Generally, to get the best possible evaluation, the matter should be forwarded as early as possible in the administrative procedures. The assessment of some cases may require more time. It is important to immediately notify the applicant if documentation is lacking. In some cases, we will also ask the applicant to provide the original documentation.
3.1 Requirements for documentation
The applicants must be informed as early as possible about what documentation is required, preferably before they apply. When evaluating, we assess whether the applicant's educational history is coherent and likely. Therefore, we must also ask for documentation from schooling that goes beyond the education that is to be evaluated. Request the following documentation before the case is sent to OV:
- Diploma and transcript of records from upper secondary education: required for all types of matters.
- Diploma and transcript of records from a bachelor's degree or education at a bachelor's level: required for all types of matters.
- Diploma and transcript of records from a master’s degree or education at a master’s level: required from all applicants who have it.
- English test: necessary for the admission to programmes of study with a requirement for English.
- Copy of passport /ID card: required for matters involving assessments of equivalency.
- Documentation of change of name: Required from applicants who have changed their names.
- Translations: always required when the original documentation is in a language other than a Scandinavian language or English.
- Curricula, diploma supplement or other additional documentation: required by those seeking specific recognition or academic recognition of equivalency.
3.1.1 Requirements for documentation for applicants from certain countries
We have some special documentation requirements for applicants with education from certain countries. A complete list of countries and requirements can be found on our website.
The website is under the admission site but it applies for all assessments of foreign education documentation. The sites are regularly updated so we encourage you to link to the page rather than to copy.
3.2 Application- and appendix forms
For matters that require the applicants themselves to fill out the application- or appendix form, we recommend that the applicants make an overview of the education they have documented and of when they completed this education. The faculties must make sure to include the appropriate areas in their forms. This applies, above all, to matters concerning specific recognition and admission. The faculties might specify that only applicants with qualifications from abroad need to document their upper secondary education. The form must also include a possibility for the applicant to tick off on whether they allow us to contact their previous educational institutions.
3.3 Evaluation of foreign qualifications for matters concerning specific recognition
All matters of specific recognition must be registered in the approval module in FS. Matters concerning foreign education must be transferred to GAUS. For HiOA to be able to generate expertise about assessment matters, and then to be able to share this with the rest of the sector, it is a prerequisite that we register data of good quality in FS / GAUS. It is therefore important that the registration of data in FS is done following the Checklist for "godkjenningssaker " and data to GAUS . The following standard applies to HiOA:
1) In the remarks area in "Godkjenningssak samlebilde": Insert justifications and assessments. Template for comments (up to 4000 characters):
THE APPLICANT’S EDUCATIONAL HISTORY
[Insert text from "utdanningsløp" in the report from OV (See point 1.2)]
ASSESSMENT OF SPECIFIC RECOGNITION
[Description of the assessment made; justification and outcome.]
BASIS OF ASSESSMENT
[A simple list of the documents on which the assessment is based, even those not transferred to GAUS.]
2) In the document tab in "Godkjenningssak samlebilde": all the documents in the student's document archive will appear here. Documents included in the approval case must be ticked off as "included in case." Put a “J” on all education documents (certificates / diplomas, transcripts of records and if applicable, translations) so that these are transferred to GAUS.
3) In the remarks area in "Person eksternstudium": Enter comments about the student’s single external studies. Template for comments (up to 4000 characters):
ASSESSMENT OF EDUCATIONAL LEVEL
[Insert text from "utdanningsnivå" in the report from OV]
ASSESSMENT OF THE SCOPE
[Insert text from "omfang" in the report from OV]
ASSESSMENT OF GRADE POINT AVERAGE
[Insert text from "karakternivå" in the report from OV]
VERIFIED: [Y / N]
3.4 Assessment of foreign qualifications for PhD admissions
In addition to OV’s assessment, use NOKUT's «turbo assessment». A copy of the NOKUT report must be sent to OV. This to assure the quality of OV’s own assessments.
3.5 Consultation matters
For consultation matters from the Registration Authority for Health Personnel (SAK) and other contract partners, we only consider the documentation that is sent to HiOA. In such cases, we do not offer credibility assessments.