1. Insert the storage device
Insert the storage device into the computer. See example with drive (F :) in the screenshot below.
Right-click it in Explorer
Select: Turn on BitLocker
Wait while your computer prepares the device for encryption.
3. Choose a password
- Choose a good password, often a long and a complex password.
Please note! Do not choose a password you have on other accounts.
You will only need this password once per computer. Please write your password on a piece of paper that you keep in a safe place.
4. Recovery key
You will be prompted to save or print the recovery key. This is a key that can replicate the contents if the password is lost.
- Store it in a safe place.
- Optionally, save and then delete it, if you're sure you will not need it. For example, where you are only using the unit for transporting content between two computers.
Wait while the device is encrypted, this may take some time for large units. It may take a few minutes.
6. The encryption is finished
7. Ready to use
The unit is now shown as a padlock that is unlocked and it is ready for use.
See example in the screenshot below.
8. Save files
You can now store files and work with the device as if it were a normal memory stick.
- If you now remove the device from or to your computer, you will get a dialog box asking for your password.
- If the square box is ticked to remember your password on the computer, the storage device will automatically be unlocked when it is plugged into this specific computer. This only applies for you - not for other users on the same computer.